Saturday, March 6, 2010

Muse, 3/5/2010 at Madison Square Garden

Going to my first Muse concert was more exhilarating and breath taking than I could have imagined. Although I had to suffer the pain associated with waiting, i also had to endure the lameness of the opening act. The Silversun Pickups are a band that I probably would not have minded listening to on an given occasion, however, given the fact that they are an opening act there was already some premeditated affiliation with boredom. All this was well, well worth the wait. With my deepest conviction, I can honestly say that Muse has to be one of the all time best bands ever. That is a bit presumptuous, I know, yet Muse has many factors contributing to their massive success, especially to me.

1.) Exclusivity. The exclusivity that Muse has always generally exuded, by their suave and catchy, (but meaningful) music shows that Muse's music catches quicker to more intellectually stimulated minds than un-stimulated minds (stupid people). Im not ruling out that stupid people can not enjoy their music, nor am I suggesting that they are not able to eventually grasp the complicated concepts that Muse dishes out. My point is that Muse has the edge that is not exactly main stream (even though some would argue that in late of "The Resistance" they are quickly becoming more mainstream then ever). In order to really hold the raw power that Muse is handing to the listener (in way of their music) you need to be more intellectually inclined.

2.) Instruments. With Matthew Bellamy alone, you have the faculty of a wide vocal range (falsetto, etc), guitar, keytar, piano, etc. The accessibility to instruments that the three members possess is truly incredible, and yet they can easily intertwine almost all of them in one song. As "The Resistance" exemplifies, they have a beautiful command of various musical elements which makes it all the better for any band, in my opinion.

3.) Allegory. As I mentioned earlier, Muse has a vice for more intellectually stimulated minds, however, the double meanings to their songs in retrospect can be both easily accessible and terribly confusing. Take for instance the title track, "The Resistance." A person could interpret it in a variety of ways. For one, you have the lovers' perspective. Two, you have the government perspective. Or, one might even say it is a plight for both. Or none. However you may take it, the imagery and sheer grace of the lyrics, by themselves, are awe-inspiring.

4.) Hype. With any band that comes along, there is always an element of hype. Your friend Jake, let you borrow his cd or something and now you like it because A) It's catchy. B) You want to be cool like Jake. OR C) You don't have a life.

Whatever the reason is, not specifically in your immediate case, but with the general public, there is always going to be an element of hype. Whether it is biased or not, you will probably like them. Remember that society sets its standards and what not... which is why we (may) listen to Muse because it is WE who need to set our own standards.

5.) Sexy. Along with hype, people in bands are sexy. So we would be crazy if we didn't like them.. Right? (This is the point where I interject how incredibly sexy Matthew Bellamy is because his voice gets me every time, and when he plays that piano...Oh dear god.) But Matthew Bellamy IS incredibly sexy, otherwise he would not be dating a model, right? Right. (PS. Please stop dating her Matthew, I would be more then happy to take her place.)

I could go on and on, but I think I (hopefully )made my point that Muse is a great band. I have never witnessed a band with chemistry that great (riffs were amazing) and with such incredible stamina. They played for TWO HOURS STRAIGHT. How can you not marvel at that?


No comments:

Post a Comment